- This event has passed.
Board of Review
May 12, 2022 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
LOCATION: Newton Town Hall
6532 Carstens Lake Road, Manitowoc, WI 54220
BOARD OF REVIEW: Thursday, May 12, 2022 5:00 – 7:00 pm
Purpose of the Board of Review is to review and examine the Assessment Roll of real and personal properties in the Newton. To receive all sworn statements and valuations real and personal property therein, and to correct all errors in said roll whether in description of property or otherwise, and to perform such other duties imposed by law. Please be advised of the following requirements:
- No person shall be allowed to appear before the Board of Review, to testify to the Board by telephone or to contest the amount of any assessment of real or personal property if the person has refused a reasonable written request by certified mail of the Assessor to view such property.
- After the first meeting of the Board of Review and before the Board’s final adjournment, no person who is scheduled to appear before the Board of Review may contact, or provide information to, a member of the Board about the person’s objection except at a session of the Board.
- No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the Board by telephone or contest the amount of any assessment unless, at least 48 hours before the first meeting of the Board or at least 48 hours before the objection is heard if the objection is allowed because the person has been granted a waiver of the 48-hour notice of an intent to file a written objection by appearing before the Board during the first two hours of the meeting and showing good cause for failure to meet the 48-hour notice requirement and files a written objection, that person provides to the Clerk of the Board of Review notice as to whether the person will ask for removal of any Board members and, if so, which member will be removed and the person’s reasonable estimate of the length of time that the hearing will take.
- When appearing before the Board, the person shall specify, in writing, the person’s estimate of the value of the land and of the improvements that are the subject of the person’s objection and specify the information that the person used to arrive at that estimate.
- No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the Board by telephone or object to a valuation, if that valuation was made by the Assessor or the Objector using the income method, unless the person supplies to the Assessor all of the information about income and expenses, as specified in the manual under Section 73.03(2a), that the Assessor requests. The municipality or county shall provide by ordinance for the confidentiality of information about income and expenses that is provided to the Assessor under this paragraph and shall provide exemptions for persons using the information in the discharge of duties imposed by law or of the duties of their office or by order of a court. The information that is provided under this paragraph, unless a court determines that it is inaccurate, is not subject to the right of inspection and copying under Section 19.35(1).
- The Board shall hear upon oath, by telephone, all ill or disabled persons who present to the Board a letter from a physician, surgeon or osteopath that confirms their illness or disability. No other persons may testify by telephone.
Town of Newton, 758-2656
Persons with disabilities who need accommodations to attend the meeting should contact the Town Clerk’s Office in their respective Town as soon as possible so that needs can be reasonably meet.