TOWN OF NEWTON
Our Zoning Administrator is Michael Slattery. Please call or text: 920-323-7039.
If you have specific questions about zoning, please email email@example.com.
Conditional Use, Variance and Zone Change Requests require an on-site inspection and a public hearing. The process takes several months. Allow yourself enough time. There is a charge.
Signs are a part of the Town Zoning Ordinance. The question is which signs require a permit and which ones don’t.
Signs in Business and Industrial Districts require a permit and must be approved by the Plan Commission. Signs are limited to 100 square feet of sign face and include wall projecting and ground signs. There is a sign permit fee.
The following do not require a sign permit:
1. Agricultural signs that pertain to the sale of farm products and not more than 32 square feet.
2. Real estate signs not more than 8 square feet.
3. Bulletin boards for public, charitable or religious institutions.
4. Memorial signs, tablets and names of buildings if cut into masonry surfaces.
5. Election signs with property owner permission.
6. Banners when authorized by the Plan Commission.
Flashing signs are not allowed and no sign shall contain moving letters or parts.
If you have a specific sign question contact the Zoning Administrator at 920-323-7039.
New Zoning Ordinance Books are available. The cost is $20.00. Photo-copies .25 per page.
BUILDING PERMIT FEES:
New Home/Business $50.00
Any Other $10.00
New Construction - Bldg.
Inspector Fee $550.00
Variance Request $300.00
Zone Change Request $400.00
OTHER PERMITS FEES:
Holding Tanks $20.00
Conditional Use Request $400.00
Land Division (Major & Minor)
Conventional Design $12,000.00
Conservation Design $15,000.00
THE APPLICANT SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REIMBURSING THE TOWN FOR ENGINEERING, INSPECTION, LEGAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE COSTS INCURRED BY THE TOWN.
Also: Permits are required for changes that affect the market value of your property.
1. A sanitary permit is required from Manitowoc County Planning and Parks Department for the addition of bedrooms.
2. The Town of Newton requires building permits for all construction that is not considered minor repairs or general maintenance.
Repairing gutters and down spouts.
Repairing porches and steps.
Repairing original siding.
Patching or repairing interior walls and ceilings.
Replacing electrical fixtures.
Repair or replace weather stripping, screens, storm windows, doors.
Replacing existing shingles.
New homes, garages, sheds, barns.
Additions (any change to the foot print of the building).
Decks, porches, car ports, canopies.
Replacing older siding with aluminum or vinyl siding.
Substantial modernization of kitchens or baths.
Recreation rooms or finished basement.
Window replacement if size changes or the type of glass
Changes (single pane to double, etc.)